Ben Porat Yosef has a comprehensive guidance program in place overseen by our full-time school psychologist, Dr. Samantha Katz.
Dr. Katz is a vital member of BPY’s educational team who helps students with their personal and social development and academic achievement, ensuring they are happy, productive and self-fulfilled students at school. Dr. Katz has long been interested in the links between children’s social and emotional skills and academic progress. She has worked with children of all ages, ranging from infants to teens. Dr. Katz's professional experience has included individual and group therapy to children and adults, conducting psychological assessments, and working with parents and teachers to optimize children’s mental health. She has has consulted for schools in Westchester County and has extensive experience in educational assessment. At BPY, Dr. Katz enjoys working with our elementary and middle school students, consulting with teachers, and partnering with parents. Dr. Katz earned her undergraduate degree from Barnard College, and received her Ph.D. in Psychology from Stony Brook University.
BPY’s guidance program includes, but is not limited to, the following components:
- In-class activities focused on social/emotional skills;
- Middle School student workshops addressing navigating the complex world of adolescence;
- Small group sessions to address social skills, conflict resolution;
- Classroom observations;
- Parent workshops and communications with parents, providing guidance and advice;
- Referrals to outside therapeutic advisers when necessary;
- Teacher consultation and collaboration; and
- Communication and collaboration with outside service providers.
Dr. Katz also works with BPY’s admissions team to screen potential students, and she conducts regular check-ins with students who require additional support. Please feel free to contact her at :[email protected] or 201-845-7005 ext. 1823.